One of the oldest institution of veterinary sciences in Asia
The University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, Lahore, is one of the oldest Veterinary Institutions in Asia. Since its inception in 1882, the staff of this Institution has worked enthusiastically and successfully conducted a wide range of programs that have effectively catered the educational and training needs in the field of Veterinary and Animal Sciences. By now it has emerged as one of the famous centers of teaching in Veterinary Education in Asia. This Institution started as Veterinary School in 1882 and was raised to the status of Punjab Veterinary College by the end of nineteenth century. Its present buildings were completed in 1921. In 1942, the College was affiliated with the Punjab University, Lahore. In 1971, this College was integrated with the University of Agriculture, Faisalabad, and since then basic DVM degree is being awarded. The Up-gradation of College of Veterinary Sciences, Lahore to the status of a University in June 2002, was an obvious testimony of commitment of the Government regarding institutional arrangement for further research, higher education, human resource development and poverty alleviation. With this up-gradation five faculties, two directorates, 21 departments, University administration and management has been established. The new University has marked to start a composite basic degree program in veterinary and animal sciences and to establish postgraduate degrees, diplomas & short courses in areas of animal production and health, in computer science, statistics, livestock extension, economics & business management, wildlife and fisheries, etc. So far, over 4500 Veterinary Graduates have qualified from CVS/UVAS and are serving all over the World. Many graduates from this institution rose to the ranks of Major Generals in Pak Army, Ministers, Vice Chancellors, Federal and Provincial Secretaries. Many of the graduates have entered into Civil Services, Livestock Departments, teaching and the research institutions of the country and UN Agencies (FAO, UNDP, WHO), Atomic Energy, etc.) bringing respect and dignity to their Alma Mater.
Department of Parasitology
Department of Parasitology was established in 1923 with the aim to generate and disseminate scientific knowledge relating to Parasitology. The department is striving to create awareness among the public about the risks and losses associated with parasites. The department is playing key role in this regard through education and research. Post graduate programme was started in 1978 and so for more than 155 students have completed their M.Sc. (Hons), M. Phil and PhD degrees. Graduates of this department are serving in various national and international organizations. Currently about 30 students are pursuing their post-graduate studies out of which 14 students are in PhD program. Department has undergraduate and post graduatelaboratories. The department has recently established an advanced Parasitology laboratory with the funding from Grand Challenges Canada Award in the field of parasitic vaccines exploiting techniques in Molecular Parasitology and Immunoparasitology. The department is engagedin basic & applied research for better understanding of parasitic problems of various hosts and their control.